Last modified: [February 23, 2013]
Active4me, Inc. ("company" or "we" or “us” or “our”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through compliance with this policy. This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.activ4.me (the "website") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On the Website.
- In e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and the Website.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from the Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and the Website.
- When you interact with our applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications include links to this policy.
- Users information imported from program administrator files.
Parental Consent for Children Under the Age of 13
We require consent from a parent or legal guardian (hereinafter, “parent”) when a child under 13 years of age wants to use or register with our Website. Parental consent is requested from the child’s parent by either of the following:
(i) Electronic submission through the Website followed by a physical paper form signed by the parent and delivered to the authorized program administrator for the child’s school (the “program administrator”). Electronic submissions not confirmed by receipt of the follow-up signed physical paper form within 30 days of electronic submission will by automatically deleted.
(ii) A physical paper form signed by the parent and delivered to a program administrator who will then input it to our database.
Information You Submit
For children, including those under 13 years of age (except where noted), we may collect the following information through a user’s (or program administrator’s) submission of it:
- user name
- teacher name
- grade level
- email address (except for children under 13)
- phone number (except for children under 13)
- parent’s e-mail address (optional)
- parent’s phone or text/SMS number (optional)
- round trip distance to and from school (however, we do not request or store home addresses)
- means of transportation from home to school and school to home, e.g., bicycling or walking, on a given day and distance logged (on individual days and in the aggregate)
- number of laps or distance run or walked at school, and date and time of completion of the lap, in connection with school administered programs, and distance logged (on individual days and in the aggregate)
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- From school program administrators’ and other school personnel authorized by your (or your child’s) school.
There are a number of ways you can provide this information to us, including:
- By filling in forms on our Website. This information includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Website, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services.
- We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest, competition or promotion, and when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website.
- Your search queries on the Website.
The Active4me website does not condition a child's participation in an online activity on the child providing more personal information than is reasonably necessary for that activity.
Usage Details, IP Addresses, Cookies and Other Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may automatically collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data, pages requested and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and Internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, browser type and information regarding the Internet service provider.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data, and does not identify any individual. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity). We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To notify users of contest results or contest updates.
- To provide program administrators with the option to post summaries of this information on the password protected content management backend for their school’s “mini-site.”
- Each school’s mini-site will show to the public only a summary of the school’s total aggregate miles/distance and our estimates of monetary and environmental savings, calories burned and virtual incentives (“statistics”). Individual user/student statistics and teacher/classroom statistics will be viewable only to those students, teachers, program administrators and parents who obtain that school’s unique password created by the school’s program administrator. Such summaries may contain student usernames (which should not contain the student’s real first name or last name), grades, teacher names (classrooms), and aggregate statistics for each student user and each teacher (classroom), but these summaries will not display the users’ e-mail addresses, text/SMS numbers or phone numbers.
- To notify parents by e-mail, text/SMS or phone that their child has arrived at school, if this option is chosen by the parent.
- For users 13 years of age or older, to notify users of their cumulative distance traveled (and associated statistics) via email and/or text/SMS.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- To ban a user temporarily or permanently from the Website if that user engages in inappropriate conduct on the Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
- For program administrators to notify parents or users over 13 years of age by e-mail, text/SMS or phone about program updates/changes, contests or system problems.
Children (including children under 13) may receive a barcode tag, which becomes affiliated with their user name, and may be used by personnel authorized by the school to track and correlate to information about that child. Lost barcode tags should be reported to us immediately at email@example.com. Even if a lost barcode tag is found, however, personal information will not be obtainable from it without the school’s access password.
Disclosure of Your Information
- To the school program administrators for your (or your child’s) school.
- To service providers we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information secure and confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by the Company about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you (or your parent) provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent (or with parental consent for children under 13).
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To the extent required by applicable law, in response to a law enforcement agency's or other government agency's (including schools or children services) request or if we feel that such disclosure may prevent the instigation of a crime, facilitate an investigation related to public safety or protect the safety of a child using our Website, protect the security or integrity of our Website, or enable us to take precautions against liability.
Parents of children under the age of 13 may refuse to allow us to provide their child’s personal information to third parties; provided, however, it may not be possible for us to provide our services if we cannot provide information to our service providers, such as our hosting company. To inform us that you do not want us to share your child’s information with third parties, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may disclose information that does not personally identify any individual without restriction.
Access to Information; Correction or Deletion of Information; Objection to Information Collection and Retention
Please contact us as provided in our Contact Information below if you would like to access the personal information that we have collected online from you or your child, correct factual errors in such information, request to have this information deleted, or request that we no longer collect or maintain such information. The deletion of data may lead to a termination of the Active4me account, membership and/or service. Please be sure to include your e-mail address and a telephone number where we can reach you.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls.
Any barcode scanning or data input by the program administrator will be done through an encrypted SSL connection. Users passwords are also encrypted in the database.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is never completely secure, and all such transmission is at your risk. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website. The Website may contain links to other sites and we are not responsible for the privacy policies and/or practices on other websites.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our privacy policies, please send us a detailed message to email@example.com. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
P.O. BOX 73311
Davis, CA 95617